Wednesday 14 January 2015

What do you listen to whilst you create...our creatives answer

A question was asked to the collective, here are the edited replies from Sunday the 11th of January 2015:

A quick question to you all, when you draw, do you listen to music, the radio or nothing and how does it help or hinder the artistic process? The answers will be added to another blog post. Hope you are enjoying the winter sunny day?
Giuseppe Lama

Music for me. Not The radio, though, it would drive me insane. I choose what I know and like, and keep it going in the background. Same mood throughout the drawing session, no shuffling or I wouldn't be able to keep the focus.
Tim Seelig

Hi Pete, sometimes, music, sometimes audiobooks, and sometimes I stick a familiar movie on but just have the Director's commentary running (I don't have the film running in the foreground, that would be too distracting).
Tim Seelig

with music, what I listen to often reflects the mood of the piece I'm creating.
Bartosz Jekiel

Yeah, I prefer to put the headphones on and completely switch off from anything else. I believe I listened to NIN when creating the Blackwing drawing, but it's never anything light and cheerful. It has to be either something intense or dark and quiet like Deaf Center.
Tim Seelig

Which NIN album was it ?
All good answers, thank you, can you also suggest some artists, films, books, it is so I can embed links into the blog post, you are all amazing
Tim Seelig

artists films and books.....in what context Pete ?
Bartosz Jekiel

Tim Seelig

Giuseppe Lama

I agree with Tim, the music I choose often deliberately influences what I'm working hard on at the time.
Bartosz Jekiel

I have to say I'm not a fan, but sometimes I need something like that
What music, audiobooks, films have you listened to recently, it is just so that I can put int the blog? 
Tim Seelig

I could do
Giuseppe Lama

I meant *what I'm working ON
Bartosz Jekiel

We've watched Jacob's Ladder yesterday, that's definitely something that sticks with you
Thanks, this is all good, I tend to listen to the radio 4, sometimes a drama on Radio 3 or the jazz, but a lot of the time I used to draw in the pubs, so basic noise
Tim Seelig

I rewatched Jacob's Ladder a few weeks ago
Tim Seelig

Bart have you tried How to Destroy Angels - it's Reznor's current band
I also listen to the albums of Chris Watson a lot, he is a natural sounds recordist,
Bartosz Jekiel

I tried drawing with a movie on in the background, but I find it distracting and I end up watching the movie
Tim Seelig

yep
Tim Seelig

although before starting to draw I will sometimes watch making's of movies
Bartosz Jekiel

No Tim, I haven't. Worth a listen?
by the way, there is quite a good program on 6 music with Christopher Nolan explaining his music choices for his films, on last Sunday at 1.00pm
Tim Seelig

Not bad - they did the soundtrack to Fincher's Girl with Dragon Tattoo
I did like the dark stuff on the GWDT
Bartosz Jekiel

I'll look it up, thanks
Tim Seelig

you'll find a load on Youtube
I did go and see Napalm Death play at Bexhill with ceramic speakers but not really a fan of Death Metal, I guess they must use a lot of throat lozenges
Giuseppe Lama

Peter, classical music in my case, like Bach, Vivaldi, Handel, Mozart or Chopin. Or experimental electronica, the kind of glitchy and clicky one, or anything between Dead Can Dance & Ryuichi Sakamoto to name a few, again depending on the mood.
Thanks Giuseppe
Bartosz Jekiel

Napalm Death Pete? I wasn't expecting it from you
Tim Seelig

Godspeed you Black Emperor are an awesome band
Excellent, I am a dark horse, i have hidden depths
Tim Seelig

right up there with 65daysofstatic and Russian Circles
This is sounding more like an episode of John Peel with the band names, but I now get to expand my listening circle
Bartosz Jekiel

Good! Don't get stale.

I also like Mashups, so I don't know if I am sent back to the bottom of the list, but currently listening to the soundtrack from Chef (hispanic and Cuban vibes) with the Chris Watson youtube video playing in the background.
Thank you all for your thoughts, I will ask again, have a good Sun or Sin day.
Tim Seelig
most recent albums I've been listening to - 
- We Were Exploding Anyway and The Fall of Math - both by 65DaysofStatic
- Bon Iver by Bon Iver
- Audioslave by Audioslave
- Pearl Jam - various (I have all of it)
- Slow Hole to China by Clutch
- Trouble will find me by The National
- Somewhere Under Wonderland by Counting Crows
- The Rip Tide by Beirut
- Goldberg Variations by J S Bach
- The Bakerton Group by the Bakerton Group
- Isolation Songs by Ghost Brigade


Simon Newbury


Aleksandar Mijajlovic
Well, I make lists that contain everything from cheesy pop to extreme black metal. It tends to be quite chaotic, but I like it that way. Today I am listening to Nick Cave and Celestite by Wolves In The Throne Room.

What would you add?

No comments:

Post a Comment